The Northwood Academy Charter School (NACS) began operation in September of 2005. We are a K-8 program with a well-developed academic program that emphasizes comprehensive literacy and mathematical instruction in accordance with federal and local standards. Our instructional program is driven by state, local and commercial assessment results, school achievement and adherence with IEP requirements. Our mission is to prepare our children to take advantage of the wealth of educational opportunities that exist for them. To that end, Northwood has hired a dedicated, skilled instructional staff to guide them in the process. Every staff member is charged with the care and well-being of every child. We believe that all children are able to achieve regardless of their socio-economic status, race, ability level or past academic experience. By respecting and supporting our students, their families and our staff on a regular basis, we honor and uphold this belief.
Important Dates to Remember:
· Literacy Night on February 26th
· Pretzel Delivery on February 27th
· School Lottery March 3rd
Upcoming Sporting Events:
· Boys Basketball Playoff Game today at home against PACS
1. Literacy Night...On Thursday, February 26th join us for Literacy Night. Come explore and learn with your family about many different nonfiction topics. Literacy Night will take place from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
2. Box Tops for Education...Save those Box Tops from your food packaging and send them into school with your child! The class that collects the most Box Tops will earn a surprise. Please count your Box Tops and seal them in an envelope with the total number of Box Tops and your child’s name and room number. The drive ends on Friday, February 27th.
3. School Lottery...On Tuesday, March 3rd the public lottery will take place in the gym at 1:00 p.m. Attendance at the lottery is not required. Notifications will be mailed no later than the third Tuesday in March.
4. Crazy Hat Day...On Monday, March 2nd students are welcome to wear their craziest hat to school. The cost to participate in this fun event is $1.00. The money raised will help offset the cost of our Service Learning projects for this year. Please put your child’s name and room number on the envelope and send it to Mrs. Kelly.
5. PSSA Tutoring...For those students that have returned their permission slip, PSSA tutoring will start next week. Reading sessions are on Tuesdays and Math sessions are on Wednesdays. Both session are from 3:00-4:30 p.m.
6. Pi Day...On March 13th students in grades 5-8 will participate in Pi Day. Students will participate in various math based activities, games and contests. T-shirts are being sold for this event. T-shirt order forms are being sent home today. The cost per t-shirt is $5.00. Students who purchase a t-shirt will also be permitted to wear jeans for Pi Day. T-shirt orders are due by Friday, February 27th.
7. Mark your calendars...Report card conferences will be held on March 26th and 27th. There will be noon dismissals on both of these days. School will be closed from March 30th-April 6th. Classes will resume on April 7th.